Participants in the Heroes: Survival game receive in-game messages from their heroes and contacts.
|First mentioned:||July 2, 2009|
Users who participate in Heroes: Survival receive frequent messages from their characters.
Signing up for messages
To access the in-game messages, users must first a create one or more characters for the game. The option to start a first character is on the main page of the game.
Users can periodically access a message related to one of their heroes' wellness status on the hero's profile. After clicking the 'send assistance' button that appears with the message related a particular hero; each user must wait a random period, normally a few hours, before the next wellness message can be accessed for that hero. After a user clicks to 'send assistance' to a hero, the hero's health is partially restored, and its rating and experience point totals are increased. Wellness messages are chosen at random from a static set of messages, which include:
- Your Hero has sent a quick update: "Everything seems okay. Thanks for checking in."
- Your Hero has sent a note: "There's a guy at work who is being a real jerk to one of my co-workers. I bet my ability could stop the situation in its tracks. So frustrating."
- You receive a note from your Hero: "Not feeling well. Think it's a side effect of my ability. Can't go to hospital! Do you have any advice?"
- You receive a note from your Hero: "I am working on my hideout, in case something goes wrong. I need fresh supplies. Can you help me out?"
- There's an urgent message from one of your contacts: "An old Building 26 database was accidentally turned over the FBI! A file on your friend is in there. I have a buddy in the FBI who might be able to make the database go away. Want me to try contacting him?"
- You receive a note from one of your contacts: "Hey, hacked a government server, found a file on that name you gave me, the one you're protecting. I'll sell you the file, cheap!"
- There's a message from one of your contacts: "Those new fake papers are ready. Tell the person you're protecting that the package will be at the drop point tonight."
- Your Hero reports: "I thought I met someone else who had an ... ability ... today. But it was just wishful thinking. Everything else seems quiet."
- Your Hero checks in: "Everything seems okay. Just wanted to let you know. I wish we could meet. I have no idea who to trust."
- It's a long message from your Hero. It begins: "A friend said today that I seemed down. I guess I'm bummed that I can't tell them about my ability. I know I can't -- it would change everything -- but I feel like my friends don't even know the real me any more..."
- It's your Hero. They sound anxious: "I thought I was being followed today. Who would follow me? Why am I so paranoid? Building 26 is history, right?" It goes on. You write an encouraging note.
- One of your contacts has this to say: "There's been some kind of bureaucratic screw-up: that person you're protecting just got stuck back on the government watch list. Tell your buddy to avoid airports for a while. I think I can remove the flag but it's going to cost ya. Want me to go for it?"
- There's an urgent message from your Hero: "Something strange happened to me yesterday. I think my ability is growing. What's happening to me??"
- One of your contacts has an urgent message: "Cops are sniffing around that person you're protecting. Looks like they found a leftover warrant from the government. I think I can shut down the investigation. Want me to risk it?"
- It's a note from your Hero: "The police were asking around the neighborhood about suspicious activity. Their description sounded a lot like my ability! Do you have any way of finding out what they know?"
- It's a message from your Hero: "Does everything look okay on your end? Going back to normal life is harder than I thought. Thanks for being there for me."
- It's a message from your Hero: "Hey, how are you? Just checking in. I'm feeling pretty good. Life almost feels normal today."
- Your Hero has sent a quick update: "Everything seems okay. Thanks for checking in."
Users can access a new message related to an event experienced by one of their heroes on the hero's profile 1-2 times a week, and normally new messages become available every Tuesday and Friday. The messages normally ask users to advise their heroes in how to respond to the situation, by choosing one of at least four choices. The hero will try to perform whatever choice is recommended by the user, and that can affect the hero's personality attributes. Changing a hero's personality away from the dominant personality of the hero's faction can hurt the hero's faction's score. Event messages are sometimes related to happenings in the iStory. See July 2009's event messages, and a list of recent event messages below.
|August 4, 2009||Okay, I've arrived at the biker rally, and my worst fears seem confirmed. Most of the rally is just casual riders, but Amber is part of some sort of traveling event that follows the main group with its own gang. The gang keeps to themselves but I've seen Amber's name on a sign during their stops. She's listed as a healer or something. If she isn't the one with ability, then someone close to her is, and judging by her company, she could be there against her will. What should we do?
|August 7, 2009||need ur help. amber safe but i was followed from rally. recognize him: was agent @ building 26. texting u from hotel & hes outside. can u help
|August 11, 2009||I escaped the former Building 26 agent with the help of a blonde girl with powers. It still amazes me how many of us might be out there. She doesn't say much about herself, but I don't think I'm the first former fugitive that she has helped like this. She is taking me to see one of her contacts today. If we can learn how that former agent found me, we might be able to stop it from happening again. What do you think?
|August 14, 2009||Wow, still reeling from what happened when we met Claire's contact. A group of people with abilities were using their powers to kill. Only by banding together were we able to stop them. All I've thought about up to now is how to hide. But this makes me wonder if I should be more involved?
|August 18, 2009||I keep running into friends and relatives who want to know where I've been the last few months. Usually I can make up an excuse that satisfies them, but this time I really messed up. I told a distant friend of a friend that I'd gotten engaged. He posted it on his Facebook page or something, and it got back to my relatives! They assume I was going to surprise them, so now they're throwing "us" a party and insisting on meeting my "fiance". What do I do?
|August 21, 2009||Well, my fake "engagement" party went okay. I'll just tell everyone in a week or two that we broke up. By the way, the people you sent me to ask for help took care of everything, as promised. Actually, I think I might have made friends with one of them. I'd really like to stay in touch with her. What do you think?
|August 25, 2009||That Building 26 agent that Claire and I faced a couple weeks ago is BACK! He chased me today. I tried to ask him what he wanted, but he apparently thinks I had something to do with the death of his partner. He said he was going to kill me!
|August 28, 2009||I didn't think I was going to make it for a while there. Your allies saved my life this week. And apparently they have a lot going on at the time same. There's a whole secret world out there that I didn't realize existed: old and new organizations battling with each other, people with abilities forming into groups, plans being made. I want to know more!
|September 3, 2009||Someone I know has been kidnapped! We met while on the run from Building 26. I got a garbled message asking for help. Then they disappeared. Could this be about their powers? Should I even get involved?
|September 4, 2009||My missing acquaintance is back. She seems really shaken up. She won't say much about what happened, but she did mention that people with abilities were fighting each other. This is scary. What's happening around us? Where is this all going to lead?
|September 22, 2009||I have some family in town. I haven't seen them in years. It's been really cool to reconnect with them. They may know I have gaps in my past, but they accept me anyway. Then last night, I got a call. Another former fugitive thinks someone is spying on him. He wants me to travel to him and help investigate. I need to choose: family or fugitive?
|September 25, 2009||I just ran into a woman who used to work for Building 26! She recognized me. But she begged me for my forgiveness. Then she tried to give me something that she'd taken from Building 26: a bundle of money that had been confiscated from a prisoner. What should I do with it?
|September 29, 2009||I just met a young girl with abilities. Her name is Amanda and she is having a lot of trouble controlling her ability. She says that she keeps accidentally setting things on fire and she's not sure what to do. She's convinced that soon she's going to burn down a building without even meaning to. What advice should I give her?
|October 2, 2009||Someone came to me today asking for help. His name is Callum and he's in trouble. He says he's on the run from a faction that's trying to capture him. I get the funny feeling that he's hiding something from me but I've got nothing to back that up, it's just a feeling. What do you think?
|October 6, 2009||I've been spending a lot of time with other former fugitives lately. It's been great to be around people who have been through the same things as me. But my significant other confronted me today, suspicious that I've been having an affair. What should I do?
|October 9, 2009||Callum, the illusionist I met last week is suggesting that we go find others with abilities and join up with them. He's saying that it would benefit all of us. I'm worried about running into enemies out there, what do you think?
|October 13, 2009||I got a message from my friend Amanda today: "I really want to just get out of here and be with my mom. We talked on the phone but she won't tell me where to find her. She says I can't come live with her but there's no way it could be worse than living with my aunt. I just want to be closer to her ... what should I do?"
|October 16, 2009||I got a message from some creep who calls himself The Watcher. It made me kind of nervous. This is the message: "Hello there. You've had a nice time out here, working and living, surviving, but you've got some darkness in your past, we all have things we'd rather keep secret... but now that I know yours, you're going to work for me. I have chores that will need doing and guess who gets to be my go-to guy now? YOU." How should I respond?
|October 23, 2009||The Watcher is back and he's demanding my help. This is what he said: "There is a newcomer here where I live. His name is Gabriel. There are rumors that he was once extremely powerful. I NEED to know his secret past. I found a phone number earlier this week. Call it and let me know who he is." Should I help him?
|October 27, 2009||I got another message from my friend Amanda, "I've met some really cool people here at this carnival. My mom might not understand but I've already met a few people who totally get what I'm going through. It almost seems to good to be true. What do you think?" Any thoughts on what I should tell her?
|October 30, 2009||The Watcher is back again: "You didn't deliver nearly as much as I needed last time but it wasn't a terrible start. I think you should get to know someone else I'm working with. His name is Chris. I left some information about him lying around The Sullivan Brothers Carnival. You should try to find them." It could be a trap, what do you think?
|November 3, 2009||Another message from Amanda: "I finally got to meet Samuel, the man who runs this place. He's an amazing man. He actually is excited and likes this thing that I can do. It's incredible. I'm liking this place more and more." Any advice for her?
|November 6, 2009||I got a message today. I'm not sure who it's from but it's intriguing. "There is a place here for people like you. A place where people with abilities can be free from fear and you can live together and help me and others to build things and live. It's somewhat like a traveling town. Come and see The Sullivan Brothers Carnival to learn some more." Should I go?
|November 10, 2009||I'm worried. I haven't heard anything from my friend Amanda for a while now. It's like she dropped off the face of the earth. She hasn't responded to any of my messages asking if she's okay. What should I do?
|November 13, 2009||Thanks for the advice earlier this week. I've decided to go find Amanda at this carnival. She was always talking about how she felt comfortable there, but with her dropping off the radar, it's time to find this place for myself. Any suggestions?
|November 20, 2009||I did it. I found the Carnival. This is where Amanda is and it might also be the home of The Watcher, I'm not sure. The people here seem shifty. For now they only think I'm a guest who's playing games and riding the rides... do you think I should make my presence known?
|November 24, 2009||I did it. I found the Carnival. This is where Amanda is and it might also be the home of The Watcher, I'm not sure. The people here seem shifty. For now they only think I'm a guest who's playing games and riding the rides... do you think I should make my presence known?
|November 27, 2009||The Watcher found me. He just popped out of nowhere. He seems kind of crazed, talking about plans needing to be stepped up and people betraying him, if you can imagine it. He's too strong for me to stop on my own. What should I do?
|December 1, 2009||I can't seem to find The Watcher around this place anymore. It's like he just up and disappeared. What should I do?
|December 3, 2009||It turns out The Watcher is gone and not coming back. The people at this carnival are incredibly nice and well organized. They've truly found a safe place where they can be themselves. I'm a little envious. Do you think I should stay?
|December 8, 2009||I just got some intel from a source I've been working with. I believe our communications over the last few months are being intercepted. Can't go into more detail, since this message is probably vulnerable too, but I think he's planning on going after the factions. He might even be trying to split them up. What should I do?
|December 15, 2009||I think all this running around is beginning to take its toll on me. I need to get back to a normal life. Something simple where I don't have to think about powers or attacks. A regular life. What do you think?
When a hero is added to a faction, that hero's adviser gets new messages related to the faction as a whole. Currently, there are only faction wellness and faction event messages. A third type of faction message, opportunities, allows the option for factions to harm/help each other. This third type began being transmitted with "phase 3" of the game, which began on September 29, 2009.
Faction wellness messages
Faction wellness messages have some similarities and differences to hero-type wellness messages. Like normal wellness messages, faction wellness messages boost rating points and experience, and are chosen from a static pool of messages. However, unlike a hero's wellness message, each message is only available for a short period of time, normally two to three hours, and choosing to 'send assistance' can only give the earned experience/rating to the faction itself. Also, choosing to send assistance may harm the hero that sends assistance, lowering one or more of the hero's attributes and rating points. The degree and type lowered depend on the message. Faction wellness messages include:
- Another member emails everyone in your faction: "I messed up and revealed my power! I need to hide somewhere for a while. Let me know if you can help." (Offering your home may lower your Attributes but will benefit your faction.)
- A leader in your faction has called an emergency meeting for next weekend. It will be expensive and draining to attend in time, but it will benefit your faction.
- A leader in your faction sends everyone this message: "I've got a tip that one of our members is being investigated by a former Building 26 agent! Everyone please keep low for a while." (Hiding will hurt your Attributes but will benefit your faction.)
- Another former Building 26 agent has offered to pass us information in exchange for saving him from a dangerous faction! We could use those files to recruit allies. And we could keep the files out of the hands of factions that might use them to hurt us. (Joining the rescue operation will increase your faction's Resources and Condition, give you Experience, and temporarily weaken your Attributes)
- A local politician has powers! We might be able to convince him to lend us support, like discouraging police investigations that might lead to our group. Can you help? (Helping will increase your faction's Resources and Condition, give you Experience, and temporarily weaken your Attributes.)
- We've found a former Pinehearst scientist living in hiding. There's no telling what he knows, but it could be extremely helpful in learning more about our abilities. We're going to make contact. Are you in? (Joining the team will increase your faction's Resources and Condition, give you Experience, and temporarily weaken your Attributes.)
- We're calling an emergency meeting for next weekend to decide how to protect ourselves from hostile factions operating in our area. We could really use your input. (Getting to the meeting on time will increase your faction's Resources and Condition, give you Experience, and temporarily weaken your Attributes.)
Faction event messages
Like the wellness-type messages, faction event messages have both differences and similarities to their hero-type counterpart. Faction event messages also are released in batches of 1-2 per week, normally every Tuesday and sometimes also on Friday; always give a positive ratings boost; affect the dominant personality; and may be related to the iStory. However, boosts and personality alterations related to faction messages affect the faction and not the individual hero. In addition, not every faction receives the same faction message. Factions receive different event messages based on their current world-view, which can be either "heroic", "neutral", "reclusive", or "villainous". The message sometimes differs only in the options available to select. For instance, a heroic faction options might include asking, arguing, and/or sneaking around; whereas a villainous faction would instead get options to trick, blackmail, and/or pretend to buy a place. Another difference is that faction event messages are chosen from a pool, similar to the faction wellness messages--so a faction may receive an old/repeat message. The below list contains the faction event messages thus far as presented thus far (messages and their options often vary based on faction world-view).
|First Seen Date||Message|
|August 18, 2009||One of your members emails your faction: "I heard another group of people with abilities might have found an old Pinehearst lab. The lab's files could tell us more about powers and help us make new contacts. But I think they already took most of the research. What do you all think we should do?"
|September 1, 2009||I just read a news story about someone local getting arrested. But it sounds like they used a power and it got out of control! What should I suggest to my faction that we do about it?
|September 1, 2009||One of my faction's leaders just emailed us: "I'd like to open an additional hideout for our faction. I've found an empty warehouse that would be ideal, but the owner refuses to sell it. One of our members could use their power to persuade her. How do you feel about that?" What do you think I should say?
|September 8, 2009||Have you been reading about the disaster in my area? A lot of people are in trouble or being evacuated. Do you think I should call my faction in?
|September 29, 2009||Just got this mass email from someone in my faction: "We have a defector. I spotted him hanging out with a rival faction yesterday, and when I asked him about it, he refuses to talk to me. He might tell them some of our secrets. What does everyone think we should do? How do you think I should respond?"
Faction opportunity messages
With the start of "phase 3" of the game, users gained the ability to harm/help other factions by affecting another faction's "resources" and "condition" attributes, which have a hand in determining a faction's position on the faction leaderboard. Faction leaders can designate any other faction as an enemy, and enemy designations will only be visible to their faction's members. A new "opportunities" message was added to handle conflict and other events related to "resources" and "condition". Like faction wellness messages, these messages only last a few hours; and like faction event messages, they differ slightly depending on a faction's world-view. Factions will not need to do opportunities, and will be able to maintain and gather resources automatically. When a faction is attacked using an opportunity message, the more members that answer the message, the more it will lower the enemy faction's "condition" attribute. Similar to a faction's "morale", the "condition" attribute determines how much of the faction's accumulated points are actually counted towards the faction's ranking on the leaderboard. However, unlike "morale", a faction's "condition" is automatically restored a little every night. Similarly, the faction who gets attacked will lose a percentage of their "resources", which will be transferred to the faction that attacked them. Faction opportunity messages include:
- We've located one of our rival's hideouts, filled with supplies and files. We're headed out to steal the stash. You in? (Joining the operation will harm your Enemy's Resources and Influence, increase your Faction's Resources, give you Experience, and temporarily weaken your Attributes)
- Our enemy may be blackmailing another local politician into passing them resources and interfering with investigations! We need to force them to back down. Will you help us? (Joining the operation will harm your Enemy's Resources and Influence, increase your Faction's Resources, give you Experience, and temporarily weaken your Attributes.)
- Another local politician is aiding our enemy. His new policies are putting a lot of pressure on us. He should be easy to intimidate with a show of force. You want to join in? (Joining the operation will harm your Enemy's Resources and Influence, increase your Faction's Resources, give you Experience, and temporarily weaken your Attributes.)
- We believe our enemy has just raided another faction's hideout. We're headed out to try to stop the raid and recover anything stolen. Join us! (Joining the operation will harm your Enemy's Resources and Influence, increase your Faction's Resources, give you Experience, and temporarily weaken your Attributes.)
- Our enemy is on the move! We believe they're about to kidnap a scientist who researched mutation acceleration for the Pinehearst Company. We need to save the scientist and teach our enemy a lesson! (Joining the operation will harm your Enemy's Resources and Influence, increase your faction's Resources, give you Experience, and temporarily weaken your Attributes)
- We've located another rural bank that our enemy is using to store a bunch of valuables. We've decided to steal the valuables. You in? (Joining the operation will harm your Enemy's Resources and Influence, increase your Faction's Resources, give you Experience, and temporarily weaken your Attributes.)
- Our enemy is holding another former Pinehearst scientist! Kidnapping him might not only get us some valuable info, but it could set our enemy back a bit too. Coming along? (Joining the operation will harm your Enemy's Resources and Influence, increase your Faction's Resources, give you Experience, and temporarily weaken your Attributes.)
- A major disaster has forced thousands of people to evacuate. We have reason to believe that our enemy has been looting their homes! We're going to intercept them and retrieve the goods. Are you in? (Joining the operation will harm your Enemy's Resources and Influence, increase your Faction's Resources, give you Experience, and temporarily weaken your Attributes.)