|Portrayed by||Ronald Guttman, |
Jon Donahue (in 1961)
|First appearance||One of Us, One of Them|
|Residence||Dr. Zimmerman's home|
former Company medical professional
Dr. Jonas Zimmerman is a doctor who was employed by the Company as one of the medical professionals working in their research & development department, but was eventually dismissed. During the course of his work with the genetic modification formula; Zimmerman "created" Niki Sanders, Tracy Strauss and Barbara.
In New Orleans, after Tracy Strauss learns that Niki Sanders is dead, Tracy finds Micah, who helps Tracy find out a bit about her past and her relation to Niki. He tells his laptop to search for information on the matter, and one match is found: a birth record. Tracy and Niki were born in the same hospital on the same day, and were delivered by the same doctor, Dr. Zimmerman.
Later, Tracy goes to visit Dr. Zimmerman at his home. He calls her Barbara at first, but Tracy corrects him. Dr. Zimmerman then invites Tracy inside his home, noting that she is "the Beverly Hills" one. She asks if he knows her, and Dr. Zimmerman tells her that he created her.
Dr. Zimmerman explains to Tracy that she is one of three triplets: Tracy, Niki and Barbara. When their parents died, the three were separated. He explains that there was a formula that manipulated their DNA to give them incredible abilities. Tracy asks who did this to her, but he tells her that a company hired him, but he can't remember. Tracy grabs him and in anger, begins to freeze his arms. She calms down, and the freezing subsides.
Angela tells Nathan and Tracy that Dr. Zimmerman used to work for the Company under research and development, looking for a way to give ordinary humans abilities. He was described as being "young" and "idealistic".
In 1991, Dr. Zimmerman returns to Primatech Research to drop off Simone to Charles. He tells Bob Bishop that he suggests experimenting on Elle to see how much she can take. Elle beings experimentation under the direction of Dr. Zimmerman.
"Do you know me?"
"Know you? I created you."
- Dr. Zimmerman's first name, Jonas, is revealed in a deleted scene from I Am Become Death, found on the Season Three DVD. His first name was used about a year later in From the Files of Primatech, Part 7, the first canonical use of his name.
- In a deleted scene from Angels and Monsters he is said to be dead by suicide.
- Dr. Zimmerman may be a reference to Star Trek: Voyager's Holographic Doctor. The EMH program was created by Doctor Lewis Zimmerman.
- Zimmermann (with two ns) is a common family name in Germany. Considering Dr. Zimmerman's accent, he might be of German descent.
- Zimmermann would translate to "room man" in German.
- Zimmermann also means "carpenter" in German.
- In a deleted scene from I Am Become Death found on the Season Three DVD, Dr. Zimmerman shoots himself in the head at Linderman's behest. Another deleted scene from Angels and Monsters reveals that Zimmerman was part of Project Paperclip, an initiative to smuggle German doctors to the United States following World War II.
Please refer to Theory:Jonas Zimmerman for fan-created theories and other speculation.