The following fan theories are about Enhanced strength.
For help on adding theories, see the help section.
|No one has enhanced strength without a side effect.||None||+ Niki/Jessica have a multiple personality disorder, not just enhanced strength.|
+ Knox was only able to obtain enhanced strength when someone nearby was afraid.
• Scott displayed no side effects, but he was shortly killed, no giving possible side effects enough time to take place.
- Peter got this ability without any side effects.
|Knox doesn't have enhanced strength but "fear induced strength".||None||+ Just because a ability makes you stronger doesn't mean you have enhanced strength.|
+ Knox's ability is almost totally different from enhanced strength.
|Enhanced strength works by accessing the body's full muscular potential.||None||+ Human beings' muscles are capable of incredible feats of strength. However, the human brain unconsciously 'limits' them; otherwise, the tendons and muscles would tear themselves apart from the strain of producing such force. An ability which works by simply strengthening a person's body to the point where it can handle that extra strength would make perfect evolutionary sense.|
+ This might explain how Mohinder was able to resist the DHS' tasers in Cold Wars.
|Enhanced strength, at least in some people, is a manifestation of a psychokinetic ability, and the users only have partially evolved muscles. The user utilizes a form of psychokinesis in order to create either a psychokinetic field around the user to gain strength, or enhance/charge muscles with the ability.||None||+ This ability can be disabled, and people with it but don't know how to use it properly can't access it. If it were just modified muscles, the user wouldn't have to know how to use it, it would be a passive ability. So far, this ability appears to be active.|
• Nullifying the ability may involve simply re-installing the limiters a normal person's brain places on muscular exertion.
|Knox may also be able to convert fear to enhanced speed.||There appears to be some sort visual change in speed when he attacks the German and Peter.||- It seems unlikely that his ability would also have the effect of granting him enhanced speed such as the ability Daphne has. At the most it would probably only grant him some form of enhanced reflexes. Though it was more likely just a visual effect to show the level of strength he was granted from being near so many frightened people.|
- It is most likely he moves faster because his body's weight is minimal in comparison to his strength when fear is around him so he moves quickly.
|Knox's ability also allows him improved reflexes.||None||+ He is able to reach up and break the neck of Daphne's illusion despite her running at super speeds. (Eris Quod Sum)|
- Matt presumably wanted Knox to believe that both he and Daphne were dead, so his success at "killing" the Daphne illusion is not necessarily an indication of what would really happen.
|Knox's ability involves a limited form of telepathy.||None||+ There are no significant physical changes in the human body when a person is scared. Knox's ability to detect fear must be limited to the mind and not the body.|
- On the contrary, there are numerous physical changes in the human body when a person is scared. A change in heartbeat and breathing pattern, sweating, eye movement changes. There are lots of things he could be basing it off. It seems clear he smells fear.
- He seems to smell fear, like a dog can.
- This would be closer to empathy (sensing emotions) than telepathy (detecting thoughts).
|Knox's ability is weaker than Niki's strength.||None||+ In a one on one fight between them, Niki would have her strength completely and Knox would only have it if she was afraid of him.|
- The more people there are, the stronger he would be.
• Though normally, Niki would probably be stronger than Knox, her strength is static and has no potential to increase. Therefore, it is very possible that Knox's strength could, under certain circumstances, surpass Niki's.
|Knox's power has something to do with his body somehow absorbing the energy released from the body caused by the specific emotion of fear (fight or flight imperative).||None||+ Rather than latent telepathy, Knox's body might have the ability to somehow absorb the energy produced by people who're experiencing fear. This energy is produced by the body's release of extra adrenaline which then supplies people extra energy.|
|Knox's ability to detect fear literally comes from his sense of smell.||None||+ He told Claire that he could "smell" her fear. (I Am Become Death).|
|Knox wouldn't be able to use his ability if he was choked.||None||+ It seems like he needed to inhale people's fear in to become super strong.|
|Knox's ability was an impaired form of enhanced strength.||None||+ Many abilities seem to be triggered by biochemical reactions (which are linked to strong emotions such as fear, love, etc.). It is possible that Knox possessed a 'damaged' enhanced strength gene, causing the ability to only engage when his body picked up biochemicals associated with fear from his surroundings.|
+ Evolution consists of random alterations in an organism's genetic code; for each beneficial change which occurs, there are often several negative changes. It seems plausible that an ability could mutate over in a fashion that would reduce its effectiveness.
|See Also: 9 • Red • Time travel • Enhanced strength|