After a long journey, Hiro acquires the sword.
|Owned by:||Swordsmith, |
|Current status:||in Tommy Clark's possession|
|This article contains international text.|
Without proper rendering support, you may see question marks, boxes, or other symbols instead of the correct international text characters.
Hiro Nakamura sought and obtained the Kensei sword believing it to hold the key to focusing his ability. The sword appears to be a Japanese katana in style. On its hilt is the Symbol. Later, the sword proves to be the key to Miko Otomo entering Evernow to rescue Hiro. Hiro's step-son later retrieves his father's old sword and uses it to help end the threat of Erica Kravid forever.
For an episode-by-episode summary, see Kensei sword: Season One History.
For an episode-by-episode summary, see Kensei sword: Season Two History.
Sixteen years in the past, Kaito Nakamura discovers Hiro (both the older Hiro from 2007 and the ten-year-old Hiro from 1991) in his office in the Deveaux building, opening his safe to retrieve the formula. Kaito sends the younger Hiro out of the room, and then accuses the older Hiro of being a spy and a thief. He grabs the Kensei sword (or a replica of it) from a display rack, and attacks Hiro, who uses a breadstick to unsuccessfully defend himself. As Kaito goes for a final strike with the sword, Hiro is rescued by Ando and Daphne, leaving Kaito stunned.
Present Hiro travels back in time to Midland, Texas on the day of Charlie's death to change events. After saving her from Sylar, Present Hiro approaches Past Hiro and tells him he is Future Hiro and Past Hiro has to go back in time six months to "save the waitress". Past Hiro accepts this but asks about the sword, aware that Future Hiro possesses it thanks to Peter Petrelli. Present Hiro claims he left it at home and convinces Past Hiro to go back in time.
Later, Present Hiro approaches Past Ando and tells him he's Future Hiro and Ando has to wait there at the diner for Past Hiro. Past Ando accepts this, but like Past Hiro asks about the sword. Present Hiro, exasperated tells him to "forget about the sword!" before convincing him to stay.
In his delusion after being given a chance to regain his honor, the Kensei sword appears in Hiro's hand. He encounters Adam Monroe wielding the same sword and the two sword fight. With encouragement from the real Ando, Hiro defeats his mental version of Adam and kills him by stabbing him with his sword.
Later, Miko decides to check out her father's study at Ren's behest. She finds the Kensei sword under the floor; when she unsheathes it, the sword transports her into Evernow.
|This section is a stub. You can help by .|
|This section is a stub. You can help by .|
Realizing the mob of Evernow players at Renautas is likely a distraction to allow Miko to recover the sword, Erica orders Harris to transport the sword to her home. Later, having followed Harris to Erica's house, Miko breaks through a window and recovers the sword.
Miko discovers that the sword is the key to Hiro Nakamura's prison inside Evernow. After learning she will have to sacrifice herself to release Hiro, Miko tries to use the sword to return to the game, but is unable to do so due to Phoebe Frady draining her powers. Quentin is able to distract Phoebe long enough for Miko to return to Evernow where she faces off with her dark self. During a sword fight, Miko decapitates her dark self and uses the Kensei sword as the key to Hiro's prison within the game. Hiro is freed and emerges from the game, but the Kensei sword is apparently lost within the game for good.
When using 9th Wonders! to figure out what her final mission is, Miko sees its to face off against Harris and tells Tommy Clark that he's the one who kidnapped her father and stole her sword which caused her to come to America.
Ren Shimosawa enters Evernow with the help of Hachiro Otomo where he reaches the gate to the Eternal Fortress and the sword with help from Miko Otomo. Ren hesitates to remove the sword as Miko will die, but she tells him he has to save Tommy and he removes the sword, opening the entrance to the Fortress. After Ren removes the sword, he is teleported back to the H.E.L.E. future, the sword with him.
After Ren and Tommy emerge from Evernow, one of the guards takes the sword. After realizing he can be in two places at once, Tommy freezes time and splits himself in two. The Tommy in the future takes the Kensei sword from the guard before transporting the guard away and hangs it on his back. In the past, the sword appears on the back of the other Tommy as well who wears it as he saves Noah Bennet's life and changes the future with Noah and Malina. Before transporting everyone in the future Gateway back to the present, Tommy uses the Kensei sword to cut off Erica Kravid's transport watch, leaving her stranded to be erased from existence with the future when he transports everyone else back.
"I really need to find that sword..."
"That sword is my destiny. The samurai's weapon must be used with honor. And respect. The sword has many lessons to teach."
"Swords are for killing. That's why they're sharp."
"I stole your sword!"
"I believe this is mine, Carp."
"I left it at home."
"Forget about the sword!"
- According to corinthianlasvegas.com, the sword is made of leather, steel, and wood, circa 1580.
- The sword appears to help Hiro focus his powers. With the sword in his possession, his face seems calm and serene when using his powers, as opposed to the the intense effort he seemed to need before he obtained the sword. However, his father reveals that the sword has nothing to do with his powers: its all in his self-confidence and retrieving the sword gave him back that which is what caused his powers to come back and why he can use them so much easier.
- According to one of Hiro's blog entries, Kensei called his sword 自由刀 (jiyuutou). Hiro goes on to say that he will call his sword 時遊刀 (jiyuutou) which Hiro thinks is a funny pun. Kensei's sword name, "jiyuu-tou", loosely translates to "Freedom Sword". Hiro's sword name, "ji-yuu-tou" (which is not a word), would loosely translate to "Time-Play Sword".
- Both Hiro Nakamura and his step-son Tommy Clark use the sword while saving the world. Hiro uses it throughout Volume One to help focus his powers and when he stops Adam Monroe from releasing the Shanti Virus while Tommy wears it while stopping the H.E.L.E. future and to put an end to Erica Kravid, the main villain of Heroes Reborn. Neither use it to directly kill anyone though Tommy's use of the sword effectively kills Erica.
The symbol appears on the hilt of the katana.
Takezo Kensei is the original owner of the sword.
Ando notices a similarity between The Symbol and two Japanese characters.
Hiro reaches for the sword.
- For other uses of sword, see sword (disambig).
- Katana -- Wikipedia
Please refer to Theory:Kensei sword for fan-created theories and other speculation.